Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pumpkin Bread


The first time I made this recipe was in 7th grade Home Ec. We didn't have time to mix it and then bake it for an hour or more, so we made it in a rectangle cake pan. Since we made it as a cake we put a cream cheese frosting on it. It was soooo good. However, I have never made it that way since then, I have always made it in the plain and simple loaf version, and it is still soooo good. I make it every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas to give out to friends and family. My girls will go through at least 2 loaves by themselves.

1 3/4 C. sifted flour
1 1/2 C. sugar
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1/4 C. + 2 T. water
2 eggs
1/2 C. oil
1 c. canned pumpkin (100% pure-not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2 C. nuts (opt.-I don't use them)

Sift all dry ingredients together in large bowl, make a well in the center. Add water, eggs, oil, pumpkin, and nuts (if using). Mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for about 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment